How to get rid of the moth in the apartment - folk and purchase means
Almost everyone faced the question of how to get rid of moths in an apartment forever, but the answer is not easy. Moths call small insects from the category of butterflies. Basically, the usual mole, spoiling the fur and woolen things.
At home moth larvae feed on horny substance - keratin, which is a part of wool, pile of carpets, hairs of fur coats. Eating keratin, the caterpillar leaves the waste products. During the day, the larva can make a through hole in a fur or wool product. In search of food, the mole gnaws various materials: paper, cotton, silk, synthetic materials.
The development of a moth consists of several stages: an egg, a caterpillar, a pupa, a butterfly. Moths usually mean butterflies, but they are just less dangerous for things. Fur and wool eat the caterpillars, so you need to fight with them and with the larvae that insects lay.
Folk and shop remedies against moths
In the fight against moths, the mistresses use different means, both popular, proven over the years, and modern, purchased. Let's see what will quickly help get rid of malicious insects and does not harm the health of the tenants of the apartment.
Folk remedies against moths
Our great-grandmothers used a well-known naphthalene to protect things from moths in an apartment, which effectively scares away butterflies, but cannot destroy caterpillars and eggs.Scientists have classified naphthalene as a carcinogen that can provoke the development of malignant diseases.
- Fir and lavender essential oil are natural and safe for health from moths. Fur and woolen fabrics from insects will protect cotton swabs impregnated with these oils, dried lavender flowers, laid out among the things in gauze bags.
- Scare cedar wood and camphor from the pest cabinet.
- A safe folk remedy in the fight against insects - vinegar. Heat a few tablespoons of vinegar in a hot frying pan and close for 10-15 minutes in the cupboard.
- Caucasian chamomile pyrethrum powder will save you from flying moths.Lay out the powder per 3-4 grams per square meter.
- To fight the butterflies moth come tobacco, black pepper, strawberry soap, orange peel, indoor plants with a pungent aroma - geranium and coleus. Insects do not tolerate these odors.
Folk methods of struggle are safe for health, but the plants are only repellents that repel butterflies. If the mole settled in things, you can get rid of it only with the help of chemistry.
Purchased products from home moth
A traditional and well-known moth remedy is briquettes and tablets that contain camphor and naphthalene. They are laid out on the upper shelves of cabinets.
The antimolar effect of naphthalene and camphor is based on the heavy vapors of these substances, which, concentrating below, do not allow butterflies to lay eggs on clothes. The biggest advantage of briquettes and tablets is low price. But a high concentration of camphor and naphthalene can be dangerous to human health. This should be taken into account for people prone to allergic reactions.
On the shelves of shops represented a variety of tools to combat pest.
- "Antimol" or "Dezmol" is placed 3-4 tablets in the closet.The duration of the drugs is about two weeks.
- "Molemor" protects things from insects for six months, but in one room you can use no more than two plates.
- Aerosols and sprays - “Suprosol”, “Trap”, plates - “Moskitol”, liquid - “Supromit”. Liquid substances process the walls of the cabinets and clothing, the effect of the treatment persists for several months.
- "Raid antimol" can be purchased immediately in the form of a gel, spray and plates.
Manufacturers of insect repellents produce products without an unpleasant odor, destroying butterflies and moth larvae, protecting things from skinned bugs, carpet bugs, ants. Act plates up to six months.
Popular preparations for moth in the form of sections. It is enough to remove the protective adhesive tape and glue the section to the top wall of the cabinet. Sections will fill the cupboard with the pleasant smell of lavender, chamomile or mandarin. Children's things will protect special sections of delicate action. Update the drug in the closet every 4-6 months. Despite all the advantages, the tool is quite toxic: it cannot be stored near food products and in places accessible to children, it is unacceptable to place more than two sections in rooms of less than 15 square meters. m
Take the choice of anti-salt drugs seriously: do not buy funds from dubious manufacturers, with damaged packaging. Inadequate chemicals can be harmful to health.
How to permanently get rid of food moths
In the kitchen
You can get rid of food moths in the kitchen only with the help of chemicals described above. Folk remedies are used after the complete removal of pests for prevention.
After the procedures for breeding, be sure to process the places where she lived. Cabinets, where there were insects affected products, wash with warm soapy water, then clean water. All slots and grooves are coated with vinegar with a thin brush. After that, the cabinet remains open until it is completely dry.
To avoid harmful insects in the kitchen, store groceries in tanks or containers with lids tightly closed. If you have to store food in plastic bags, they should be well tied.
If the moth struck the cereals strongly, it is impossible to eat them. If a small amount of food is damaged, you can try to sort it out, then dry it for 15 minutes in an oven at 60 ° C or in a microwave.
A common pest around the world is a cabbage moth. After several insects, the head of the insect is not subject to storage, it begins to deteriorate rapidly. The pest affects the plant even on the beds.
Work on the fight against insects is carried out in the complex.
- The remains of the crop is carefully plowed. Since they and the weeds remain for the wintering of the pupae, which, after plowing, cannot escape.
- Ensure that weeds do not spread. If more than 10% of the crop is affected or there are more than 4 caterpillars on one bush, they are treated with insecticides.
- The most effective means of combating garden pest Entobacterin, Lepidotsid, Bitoksibatsillin.
What if no larvae are found?
It is a big mistake to think that the butterfly moth brings harm to things, and by killing it, you can get rid of the problem. Almost always, we see the males moths that fly into the rooms. Females at this time lay eggs in cabinets and other secluded places.
Caterpillars, soon appearing from the larvae, and cause damage to products made of fur, wool and other natural materials. It is logical to fight not with butterflies, but to destroy the larvae.If they could not be found, it is necessary to carry out regular preventive measures and prevent the appearance of a pest.
- The first thing that the caterpillars eat is dirty places on clothes, so before sending things to storage, carefully clean them from stains.
- Caterpillars and eggs are directly affected by direct sunlight and fresh air. Things periodically dry and air on the balcony. Half an hour in hot weather is enough to moth eggs died. In less sunny weather, the drying time should be doubled to achieve the effect.
- If possible, spend quartz in cabinets and a room where things are stored.
- For the radical destruction of the moth caterpillar, like cockroaches, dichlorvos-based products are used.
- The larvae die when exposed to low temperatures - freezing and evaporation. These methods should be used if there is no risk of damaging the product.
Types of home moth
In nature, there are more than forty species of moths. In houses and apartments you can find only some of them. To choose the most effective method of struggle, it is necessary to determine their variety.The basis of the division into species is the habitat of the insect: some pests can be called domestic, others agricultural. Among the agricultural species of moths, barley moth, apple and cabbage moths are particularly distinguished. Household pests include coat, furniture, grain and clothes moths. Consider the most common types of homemade moths that annoy each mistress.
Fur coat moth - butterfly brilliant brown-yellow or grayish color. Wings in scope reach 15-16 mm. On the front wings are two small dark dots and one large. Caterpillars are worm-shaped in white with brown head and transparent skin. It feeds on natural furs, gnaws in its way all hair that comes across.
The size of the clothes moth is larger than the fur coat. Wingspan of about 20-22 mm. The front wings have a light yellow color, at the top there is a purple-brown speck. The head of the insect is covered with white fluff. The caterpillar looks the same as the caterpillar of the fur moth. Having settled in the folds of cloth or cloth, the mole eats the material from the inside, leaving an outer thin layer of matter.Therefore, often the defect things are not immediately noticeable.
The furniture mole is distinguished by a brilliant light yellow color. The head of the insect is rusty yellow, the wings at the base are brown. The caterpillars eat upholstered furniture, and before the formation of the pupa they feed on wood, gnawing the paths, following the pattern of the tree. Mole eggs lay on the bottom and corners of the furniture, in the crevices of the wood, here nests of white cocoons accumulate. The full development of the caterpillar takes place in two months in the summer and about five in the winter. The furniture mole begins to pupate in February, the first years in the spring months, the second years of butterflies in July and August.
Corn (kitchen) mole
In the kitchen, the mistress is plagued by grain moths. The grain moth (kitchen) is a silvery-white insect, the front wings are covered with a brown pattern, the back wingspan reaches 15 mm. The belly is gray. Each female insect is able to lay about 100 eggs per grain of rye, wheat, barley. Butterflies fly out twice a year: in spring and in August. Twisting a web, the caterpillar unites several grains in a bundle. Moving, she carries this bundle behind her, gradually eating the grain.The process of pupation occurs in the cracks of the walls, cracks in the floor. Grain moths can attack dried fruit and various seeds.
One of the most resistant insect species is the carpet moth. She eats not only carpeting, as the name suggests, but also leather, fur, damages shoes, bags and other products made from natural materials. Larvae lays in inaccessible places deep in the pile of things. Carpet moth is not afraid of smells of camphor and naphthalene, therefore, the means they are based on are not suitable for its excretion.
The fight with moths remains an urgent problem for hostesses. Despite the variety of folk and shop remedies, it is most effective to resort to prevention. Cleaning things before storage, regular drying and ventilation of products, proper storage of food - these simple methods will help reduce the likelihood of uninvited guests staying in the apartment and getting rid of them forever.