What is needed for baptism?
Watch the video
Baptism in the life of an Orthodox person is one of the most important events, since during his time his spiritual birth takes place. Most often this sacred ordinance is organized by parents for their newborn children. It is believed that after the child receives a blessing and protection from adversity and disease. But there are also cases of its holding at a mature age, when an unbaptized person wants to purify the soul, to receive the approval of the Most High and a certain pass to the Kingdom of God. But in any case, you need to know how to prepare for such an event and what is needed for it.
Choosing a place for baptism
First of all, it is necessary to determine the place where the baptism will take place. The Orthodox church is best suited for this, you can choose it based on your own preferences. Baptism itself can be performed on any day, even on a holiday and fasting, usually such a rite is held after the morning prayer.
Choice of godparents
The choice of godparents must be approached with great responsibility.It is necessary to choose from your circle those people who are ready to take part in the subsequent upbringing of your child and, if necessary, become his guardians if there is a misfortune with the parents.
It is important to bear in mind that unbelievers cannot become godparents for a baby and an adult, and also:
- spouses or the bride and groom, since intimate relationships are prohibited between the godparents;
- monks and nuns;
- parents of a child;
- unbaptized people;
- minors, as it is believed that they do not yet have a strong faith and they can not take all the responsibility that falls on the godparents;
- people taking part in different cult sects.
Choosing a spiritual name
At the baptism of a child and an adult, the priest calls upon him a spiritual name. It may differ from the one recorded on the birth certificate. Many advise him to choose according to the Orthodox calendar in order to name the child or adult in the name of the saint, who later becomes his keeper. But this is not mandatory, you can choose a modern name that you like.
Necessary things for baptism
Before baptism, it is necessary to prepare all the necessary things for the ceremony, because without them it will be impossible to hold it. Here is a list of them:
- Pectoral cross. For a child, a small cross can be used, which can be made of ordinary metal or silver. Adultcan choose for themselves a cross according to their preferences. It can even be made of gold and inlaid with precious stones.
- Baptismal shirt. Such a thing is entrusted to buy the godmother. She looks like a regular nightdress, but a cross is embroidered on her back.
- Diaper. After the baptism of the child will need to wipe, so you must take a paddle with you. For an adult will be enough towels.
- Certificate of baptism. It can be taken directly to the church. But it is important to make sure that it is correctly and completely filled. It should contain the following information: the name of the child and the godparents, the date of the ceremony, the name and surname of the priest, the name of the temple, an indication of the Day of the angel and heavenly patron.
Also at the baptism will need to take church candles.If the child receives the name of an Orthodox saint, then you will need to purchase his icon and bring it to the ceremony.
What do godparents need to know?
Godfathers during the conduct of such a ceremony will fall a special mission, so they must prepare for it thoroughly. It is necessary not only to get all the necessary things together with the parents, but also to learn a number of prayers: “The Virgin Mary”, “Our Father” and “Symbol of Faith”, the latter is read aloud by the godparents for the child, therefore it is important to knowher by heart You can find all these prayers in a short prayer book, which can always be purchased at the church shop.
Also, the godparents on the eve of the rite must go to the temple, repent of all their sins, confess, and receive communion. You can also observe the post for a week. On the day of the ceremony they cannot eat or make love.
In addition, it should be borne in mind that there is an unspoken rule: all costs associated with baptism are borne by the godparents. At the same time, in many churches there are no fixed rates for such a rite, so voluntary donations will be required.
Unlike a child, a serious burden falls on an adult at baptism. He must prepare spiritually for such a rite. This is required forseveral weeks to pray earnestly, go to the temple, talk with the clergy. It is advisable to start fasting a month before the rite - it will clear the flesh. You will also need to learn the prayers, since you will need to read the "Symbol of Faith" yourself.
It is very important that an adult has a strong faith in Christ, he must firmly understand that after baptism he will need to follow the laws of the Orthodox Church, try to spend the rest of his life sinless and pleasing to God.